Frankenstein Bread

Today I made a fresh loaf of dread using dried yeast and had some dough left over. I also had a sourdough that had been proving overnight and was a sponge. It was a bit on the small side, so I decided to combine the two. I knocked out the sourdough sponge and the melded both together. I did not mix them, but rather introduced them to each other.
IMG_1102
The next step was the complex one. The sourdough needed 12 to prove and the regular dough only 2 hours. In the end I proved it for going for 8 hours. It proved well. Next step was to bake it. This was also an issue. Partly because the sourdough also included a good measure of olive oil. All was looking good, but in very short time the crust burnt slightly because it was made up of the sourdough. I managed to catch it before it was a complete write off.
I let it rest for an hour and then it was ‘taste test’ time. It tasted great once I cut off the burnt crust. I will try this idea again but next time have the wholemeal sourdough in the centre of the loaf.
IMG_1103

By Richard Randall